Conduit: Preface

Welcome, readers, to the world of Conduit and the tale of four heroes. Based off a DnD 3.5ed campaign, the story will update as the campaign unfolds.


Enjoy!

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Prologue (part 3): Future Slave

 When I look back, I probably shouldn't have been travelling through the Wild Plains on my own. Come to think of it, mustering a couple of allies would have been a much better idea before investigating three men dragging someone off in a sack.


 When I look back, I think I should probably have made a greater effort to be stealthy as I sidled up to their camp. I probably should have found a better hiding spot to spy on them. And as I watched a slaver stripping some poor unconscious fool of their gear and clothing, dressing them in a dirty robe, I probably should have been thinking, “Hey, where are the other two guys? Could they be sneaking up on me with crossbows? Is that a curious little boar poking me in the back with both its tusks? Do boars tell people to put their hands up?”


 Now, when I look back, I can see a thick wooden pole, the rope tying me to it, and the other person, tied to the same pole. I think they chained my left hand to it, too, paranoid bastards. They haven't stripped me of my clothing, yet, but they took my weapons and gear away to a nearby tent. If I don't want to be a slave, I need to find a way out of this. And if I don't want to be poor, I need to find a way into that tent.
To be honest, Thurvald Drake was still better off than the individual one pole-side away from him. At least he still had his clothes. And consciousness.

The issue, however, was also his current state of attire. Wearing rope that the pole and other prisoner happened to share as well meant that he wasn't in the best of positions to take on his captors, or escape. And, yes, the chain will pose a problem too.

Thurvald looked about him, and then towards his captors, all three of whom were in cheerful discussion.Pretty soon, two of the burlier men cast sneering glances over at him before turning around and leaving the shabby campsite. At this point, he felt the tension in the rope grow as whoever it was started to wake up behind him. He turned his head to one side.
"Psst! Hey, are you alright?"

No comments:

Post a Comment